Rasmus Dahlin Bojesen is a postdoctoral researcher at CSS and surgical fellow at the Department of Surgery, Zealand University Hospital, Køge. His primary area of expertise lies in identification and optimization of the ‘high risk’ surgical patient prior to surgery through multimodal prehabilitation and treatment of iron deficiency in colorectal cancer. Further, he has a special interest in surgical pathophysiology with a focus on the inflammatory response, immune response and tumor microenvironment, especially in colorectal cancer. He has been during research at CSS since 2016 and are currently heading the team focused on clinical studies of prehabilitation and iron deficiency in colorectal cancer patients.
Ph.d. – student Dec. 2017 – 2021 University of Copenhagen, Center for Surgical Science and Department of Surgery, Slagelse Hospital.
Clinical doctor: 2014 – 2016 – Finished first year of residency in Surgery.
MD – 2014 – University of Copenhagen
BaMSC – 2010 –University of Southern Denmark
The focus of his current research lies in understanding the impact of preoperative interventions effect on the human physiology and immunology, especially in colonic or rectal cancer. Thus, the field of interest and methodology ranges wide: from epidemiology, pathophysiology, to case control- and clinical randomized studies. We are using a wide range of methods in the studies including physical assessments with Cardio Pulmonary Exercise Testing, Inflammatory markers, transcription analysis and other omics.
- Effect of multimodal prehabilitation on reducing postoperative complications and enhancing functional capacity following colorectal cancer surgery: the PREHAB randomized clinical trial. CJL Molenaar, EM Minnella, M Coca-Martinez et al. JAMA surgery – 2023
- Paralytic Ileus as an Extra-Pulmonary Manifestation of COVID-19. N Moghimi, RD Bojesen, K Rütz. Cureus 15 – 2023
- Fit for Surgery—feasibility of short-course multimodal individualized prehabilitation in high-risk frail colon cancer patients prior to surgery. RD Bojesen, LB Jørgensen, C Grube, et al. Pilot and Feasibility Studies 8 (1), 1-13. 2022
- Anæmi, jern og blodtransfusion. M Ploug, R Krøijer, RD Bojesen, I Gögenur. DCCG.dk. 2022
- Effect of modifying high-risk factors and prehabilitation on the outcomes of colorectal cancer surgery: controlled before and after study. RD Bojesen, C Grube, F Buzquurz, et al. BJS open 6 (3), 2022
- Circulating Cell-Free DNA and Systemic Inflammatory Response after Self-Expandable Metal Stent for Malignant Bowel Obstruction. M Broholm, R Bojesen, M Gögenur, et al. Archives of Microbiology and Immunology 6, 247-255. 2022
- Azithromycin and hydroxychloroquine in hospitalised patients with confirmed COVID-19: a randomised double-blinded placebo-controlled trial. P Sivapalan, CS Ulrik, TS Lapperre, RD Bojesen, et al. European Respiratory Journal 59 (1). 2022
- Præhabilitering ved kolorektal cancer. RD Bojesen, I Gögenur. DCCG.dk. 2021
- The dynamic effects of preoperative intravenous iron in anaemic patients undergoing surgery for colorectal cancer. RD Bojesen, JR Eriksen, RP Vogelsang et al. Colorectal Disease 23 (10), 2550-2558. 2021
- Hydroxychloroquine as a primary prophylactic agent against SARS-CoV-2 infection. P Kamstrup, P Sivapalan, J Eklöf, et al. European Respiratory Journal 58 (suppl 65) 2021
- Azithromycin and Hydroxychloroquine in hospitalized patients with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection-a randomized placebo-controlled trial (ProPAC-COVID Trial). P Sivapalan, CS Ulrik, TS Lapperre, RD Bojesen, et al. European Respiratory Journal 58 (suppl 65) 2021
- Reply to letter to the editor to’The dynamic effects of preoperative intravenous iron in anaemic patients undergoing surgery for colorectal cancer’. RD Bojesen, JR Eriksen, RP Vogelsang, et al. 2021
- The impact of low functional capacity and prehabilitation on postoperative outcomes in colorectal cancer patients. RD Bojesen. University of Copenhagen – Ph.d. Thesis 2021
- Hydroxychloroquine as a primary prophylactic agent against SARS-CoV-2 infection: A cohort study. P Kamstrup, P Sivapalan, J Eklöf, et al. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 108, 370-376, 2021
- High World Health Organization performance status is associated with short-and long-term outcomes after colorectal cancer surgery: a nationwide population-based study. RD Bojesen, TH Degett, SO Dalton, I Gögenur. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum 64 (7), 851-860. 2021
- Den klinisk betydende afstand. RD Bojesen. Ugeskrift for læger 12 (2021;183:V205057), 2021
- Prediction of 90-day mortality after surgery for colorectal cancer using standardized nationwide quality-assurance data. RP Vogelsang, RD Bojesen, ER Hoelmich, et al. BJS open 5 (3), zrab023. 2021
- Age is an individual risk factor for not being referred to adjuvant chemotherapy in patients resected for UICC III colorectal cancer: a nationwide cohort study. RD Bojesen, M Friis, I Gögenur. Acta Oncologica 59 (12), 1538-1542. 2020
- Impact of oral preoperative and perioperative immunonutrition on postoperative infection and mortality in patients undergoing cancer surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis with trial sequential analysis. F Buzquurz, RD Bojesen, C Grube, MT Madsen, I Gögenur. BJS Open 2020
- The clinical implication of the association between hypoxaemia and postoperative troponin I: a reply. RD Bojesen, P Fitzgerald, P Munk‐Madsen, et al. Anaesthesia 75 (1), 128-129. 2020
- Driver gene mutations and epigenetics in colorectal cancer. H Raskov, JH Søby, J Troelsen, RD Bojesen, I Gögenur. Annals of Surgery 271 (1), 75-85. 2020
- Multimodal prehabilitation in colorectal cancer patients to improve functional capacity and reduce postoperative complications: the first international randomized controlled trial for multimodal prehabilitation. S van Rooijen, F Carli, S Dalton, G Thomas, R Bojesen, et al. BMC cancer 19 (1), 1-11. 2019
- Hypoxaemia during recovery after surgery for colorectal cancer: a prospective observational study. RD Bojesen, P Fitzgerald, P Munk‐Madsen et al. Anaesthesia 74 (8), 1009-1017, 2019.
- Inflammatory bowel disease and small bowel cancer risk, clinical characteristics, and histopathology: a population-based study. RD Bojesen, LB Riis, E Høgdall, OH Nielsen, T Jess. Clinical gastroenterology and hepatology 15 (12), 1900-1907. 2019
- Incidence of, phenotypes of and survival from small bowel cancer in Denmark, 1994–2010: a population-based study. RD Bojesen, M Andersson, LB Riis, OH Nielsen, T Jess. Journal of Gastroenterology 51, 891-899. 2016
- Proximal collagenous gastroenteritides: clinical management. A systematic review. OH Nielsen, LB Riis, S Danese, RD Bojesen, C Soendergaard. Annals of Medicine 46 (5), 311-317. 2014
2 poster and 2 Oral presentations at international conferences
LAST UPDATE: JUN 2023