I have worked within the surgical specialty for many years focusing on e.g., interdisciplinary collaboration, enhanced recovery after surgery and structured nursing interventions. Furthermore, I have more than 10 years of experience with pre- and postgraduate teaching as well as quality improvements of nursing interventions. I find it very satisfactory and important to work interdisciplinary in clinical practice and in research. In my research, I focus on the patients’ perspectives on outcomes after treatment.
Clinicial Nurse Specialist, PhD, Dept. of Surgery
Ph.d.-student University of Copenhagen
Research Nurse, Dept. of Gastroenterology, Herlev Gentofte Hospital, and Abdominalcenter, Rigshospitalet.
Clinical Nurse Specialist, Digestive Disease Center, Bispebjerg Hospital.
Clinical Supervisor for Nursing Students, Digestive Disease Center, Bispebjerg Hospital.
Nurse Specialist, Digestive Disease Center, Bispebjerg Hospital
Digestive Disease Center, Bispebjerg Hospital
Department of Gastroenterology, Herlev Hospital
Intensive Care, Foerde Sentral Sykehus, Norway
Dept. of Abdominal surgery, Aalborg University Hospital
Department of Transplantation, Rikshospitalet Oslo, Norway
2020 PhD, University of Copenhagen
Dissertation: Parastomal bulging- patients’ symptoms, health-related quality of life and course of surgical treatment. University of Copenhagen. May 2020
2012 Master of Health Science, University of Copenhagen
1997 Adult teacher, Blaagaard Seminarium
1989 Graduated as Nurse, Aalborg Nursing School
2019 Cancer symptom science and symptom management research
2018 Register-based epidemiology research
2018 Questionnaires in clinical and public health research
2017 Analysis of correlated and repeated measurement
2017 Introduction to scale validation
2017 Use of SAS statistical software
2016 Datahåndtering i sundhedssektoren
2013 Epidemiologi og biostatistik
My main research area is patients’ perspectives on outcomes after colorectal surgery. To improve outcomes it is important that professionals investigate and understand the patients’ perspectives on their situation after treatment. My research focus on patients’ experiences of symptoms, late complications and health-related quality of life following treatment. Key area for my research is parastomal bulging that is a frequent late complication in relation to a stoma.
In total 24 oral presentations in Denmark, Germany, Norway and New Zealand at conferences for nurses and surgeons.
Invited speaker at e.g., Mattu, London. Parastomal Hernia Conference (Nov 2021); International joint European and American Hernia Societies Congress (Oct 2021), Sundhedsfaglig Festival 2021, Region Zealand and Landskursus ved fagligt Selskab for Sygeplejersker i Stomiplejen.
Presentation for patients at the Annual meeting in Danish Ostomy Association 2018.
2 masters students, finalized (2021)
1 PhD student, (2022 – )
Colorectal Disease, Ugeskrift for læger
Public Health, Colorectal Disease, BMJ Open Gastroenterology, BMC Cancer, Nursing Open
Steering board for the Danish Hernia Database
European Hernia Society
Fagligt selskab for sygeplejersker der arbejder med udvikling og forskning (FS32)
Faglig sammenslutning for sygeplejersker beskæftiget med pleje af patienter med stomi (FS22)
Clinical guidelines for the management of treatment-related sequelae following colorectal cancer. DCCG National Guideline 2022 (published)
EHS Rapid Guideline 2022 on Parastomal hernia prevention. Member of the international group preparing the guideline.
National guideline for follow-up for patients with a stoma. Supervisor for the group of stoma care nurses preparing the guideline 2021-2023.
Establishment of a DCCC-group network for health professionals working within the field of late effects after cancer treatment.
- Krogsgaard M, Borglit TB, Theisen SZ, Rothmann Assessment of a support garment in parastomal bulging from a patient perspective: A qualitative study. Int j of qual studies on health and wellbeing. Feb 2022
- Haas, S., Mikkelsen, A.H., Jensenius, C., Oggesen, B.T., Fassov, J., Frederiksen, N.A., Krogsgaard, M., Graugaard-Jensen, C, Ventzel, L., Christensen, P, Emmertsen, K. Clinical guidelines for management of treatment-related sequelae following colorectal cancer. DCCG national guideline 2021. Approved Jan 2022
- Rosted E., Thomsen T.G., Krogsgaard M., Busk H., Geisler A, Hansen S.T., Kjerholt M., Mortensen C.B., Thomsen T.H., Beck M., Petersen M. On the frontline treating COVID-19: A pendulum experience – from meaningful to overwhelming – for Danish healthcare professionals. J Clin Nurs 2021.
- Krogsgaard M, Andersen R.M, Danielsen A.K, Thomsen T., Klausen T.W, Christensen B.M, Gögenur G, Vinther A. Physical activity after colorectal cancer surgery-a cross-sectional study of patients with a long-term stoma. Supportive Care in Cancer. Aug 2021
- Andersen RM., Danielsen, A.K., Vinter, A., Krogsgaard M., Gögenur, I., Thomsen T. Patients’ experiences of abdominal exercises after stoma surgery: a qualitative study. Disability and rehabilitation. September 2020.
- Kristensen H, Krogsgaard, M; Christensen, P; Thomsen T. Validation of the Colostomy Impact score in patients ostomized for a benign condition. Colorectal Disease. August 2020.
- Krogsgaard M, Gögenur, I., Helgstrand F., Andersen RM., Danielsen, A.K., Vinter, A., Wirenfeldt, T., Hillingsoe J., Christensen, B.; Thomsen, T. Surgical repair of parastomal bulging – a retrospective register-based study on prospectively collected data. Accepted for publication. Colorectal Disease, May 2020.
- Krogsgaard M, Watt, T., Danielsen, A.K., Wirenfeldt, T., Vinter, A., Gögenur, I., Thomsen T. Impact of a Parastomal Bulge on Quality of Life – A Cross-sectional Study of Patients From the Danish Stoma Database. Ann Surg. 2019.
- Krogsgaard M, Thomsen T., Vinter A., Gögenur, I., Kaldan, G., Danielsen, A.K. Living with a parastomal bulge – patients’ experiences of symptoms. J Clin Nurs 2017 Aug 9.
- Krogsgaard M, Pilsgaard, B., Borglit, T. B., Bentzen, J., Balleby, L., Krarup, P. M. Symptom load and individual symptoms before and after repair of parastomal hernia: A Prospective single Centre Study. Colorectal Dis 2017 Feb;19(2):200-207.
- Soelver, L, Krogsgaard M. From reactive to proactive basic palliative hospital care. Evaluation of one-nurse telephone follow-up and bedside consultation to advanced gastrointestinal cancer patients and informal caregivers: a quasi-experimental study. European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare. 2016, Vol 4 (no 2). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5750/ejpch.v4i2
- Krogsgaard M, Dreyer P, Egerod I, Jarden M. Post-discharge symptoms following fast-track colonic cancer surgery: A phenomenological hermeneutic study. 2014;3:276-1801-3-276. eCollection 2014.
- Living with a parastomal bulge – the patients’ perspective. Coloplast Newsletter, fall 2018.
- Buledannelse ved tyktarm- og tyndtarmsstomi. Danish Ostomy Association Magazine, COPA 6/2018.
- Bliv klogere på brok. Stomi Information, Coloplast 1/2018
LAST UPDATE: JUN 2022