I am a phD student at Center for Surgical Science and enrolled at the Graduate School of Health and Medical Sciences at University of Copenhagen. The focus of my work is patients with colon cancer and the tumor microenvironment: the cancer cells, the infiltrating immune cells and the microbiota.
I started my current position immediately after completing my master’s degree in medicine in 2018, as I knew I wanted to pursue research in patients with colorectal cancer in a surgical setting. My first experience in research was a year as a research-year scholar at Center for Surgical Science in 2015.
Except for at semester in Gijon, Spain, I have resided in Copenhagen all my life. I am a mother of three children, thus organization and project management is an essential part of both my private and professional life.
2021-2022: Maternity leave #3
2019-2020: Maternity leave #2
2018-now: Clinical assistant and phD-student, CSS
2017-2018: Maternity leave #1
2016-2017: Research assistent for the PIXIE study, CSS
2015-2016: Research-year scholar, CSS
2014-2018 University of Copenhagen – Master in Medicine
2011-2014 University of Copenhagen – BSc in Medicine
My current research is on patients with colon cancer and the microbiota. I focus on the tumor microenvironment: immune evasive markers, the infiltration of immune cells and the bacteria present. I will through my Ph.D conduct several studies focusing on the bacterial composition of the mucosal layer of the colon in patients with colon cancer, how the cancer cells react to exposure of bacteria, and how these known bacterial drivers react to antibiotic treatment. My previous research has also been on patients with colorectal cancer: I have conducted a database study on readmission and prolonged hospital stay in patients with colorectal cancer in an ERAS cohort; as well as conducted a study on in-vivo sentinel node mapping in patients with colon cancer.
- Bennedsen ALB, Cai L, Hasselager RP, Özcan AA, Mohamed KB, Eriksen JO, Eiholm S, Bzorek M, Fiehn AK, Hviid TVF, Gögenur I. An exploration of immunohistochemistry-based prognostic markers in patients undergoing curative resections for colon cancer. BMC Cancer. 2022 Jan 14;22(1):62. doi: 10.1186/s12885-022-09169-0. PMID: 35027037; PMCID: PMC8759288.
- Bennedsen ALB, Furbo S, Bjarnsholt T, Raskov H, Gögenur I, Kvich L. The gut microbiota can orchestrate the signaling pathways in colorectal cancer. APMIS. 2022 Mar;130(3):121-139. doi: 10.1111/apm.13206. Epub 2022 Jan 23. PMID: 35007370.
- Bennedsen ALB, Eriksen JR, Gögenur I. Prolonged hospital stay and readmission rate in an ERAS cohort undergoing colorectal cancer surgery. Colorectal Dis. 2018 Oct 11. doi: 10.1111/codi.14446. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30307103.
Shared first author
- Andersen HS, Bennedsen ALB, Burgdorf SK, Eriksen JR, Eiholm S, Toxværd A, Riis LB, Rosenberg J, Gögenur I. In vivo and ex vivo sentinel node mapping does not identify the same lymph nodes in colon cancer. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2017 Jul;32(7):983-990. doi: 10.1007/s00384-017-2777-9. Epub 2017 Feb 16. PubMed PMID:28210851.
- Gögenur M, Balsevicius L, Bulut M, Colak N, Justesen TF, Fiehn AK, Jensen MB, Høst-Rasmussen K, Cappelen B, Gaggar S, Tajik A, Zahid JA, Bennedsen ALB, D’Ondes TDB, Raskov H, Sækmose SG, Hansen LB, Salanti A, Brix S, Gögenur I. Neoadjuvant intratumoral influenza vaccine treatment in patients with proficient mismatch repair colorectal cancer leads to increased tumor infiltration of CD8+ T cells and upregulation of PD-L1: a phase 1/2 clinical trial. J Immunother Cancer. 2023 May;11(5) e006774. doi:10.1136/jitc-2023-006774. PMID: 37172969; PMCID: PMC10186478.
- Slumstrup L, Eiholm S, Bennedsen ALB, Jepsen DNM, Gögenur I, Fiehn AK. Deeper sections reveal residual tumor cells in rectal cancer specimens diagnosed with pathological complete response following neoadjuvant treatment. Virchows Arch. 2022 Jan 31. doi: 10.1007/s00428-022-03287-7. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35099633.
- Vogelsang RP, Gögenur M, Dencker D, Bjørn Bennedsen AL, Levin Pedersen D, Gögenur I. Routine CT evaluation of central vascular ligation in patients undergoing complete mesocolic excision for sigmoid colon cancer. Colorectal Dis. 2021 Aug;23(8):2030-2040. doi: 10.1111/codi.15723. Epub 2021 Jun 10. PMID: 33974325.
- Cai L, Bennedsen ALB, Qvortrup C, Gögenur I. [Increasing incidence of colorectal cancer in young patients]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2019 Dec 30;182(1):V09190524. PubMed PMID: 31928624
- Kokotovic D, Bennedsen AL, Bodilsen TF. [Transscrotal and transurethral cholecystectomy: a meta-analysis]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2015 Dec 21;177(52):V67983. Review. Danish. PubMed PMID: 26692218.
LAST UPDATE: JUN 2023